Pages

3.18.2010

Hitting the Slopes and Hoping They Don't Hit Back

Because I haven't had enough snow this winter, I bundled up and headed west to Colorado for some REAL snow. Actually, I was on vacation and what a wonderful vacation it was! Aileen Crowley invited the girls out to her place in Beaver Creek for some skiing, spa--ing, relaxing, shopping and eating! I have never been skiing in my life and most of you know that I'm not exactly "sporty." Needless to say, I was nervous about skiing but decided it's either now or never.

I enrolled in ski school for 3 days and I would be lying if I said I didn't want to quit after day uno. My legs hurt, my knees hurt, my feet really hurt, and my head hurt from the altitude. But I was determined to learn to ski (upright, for the most part). Plus, I wasn't about to let these 4-5 year olds continue to whiz past me while I wobbled down the mountain. Ski school proved to be a wise decision on my part and by day 3 I can honestly say I was skiing down the green trails. I had a blast and was so happy that I had decided to stick with it. Aileen, Heidi and Nadia were such good sports--they would ski over to me to take pictures, visit, have lunch and then they would blow past me down the mountain. And much to my surprise, the cold didn't even bother me . . . most likely the sheer fear I felt at all times was keeping me numb from the cold.

Day 3= Success
When we weren't skiing, we were shopping, relaxing in the spa, watching bad movies and generally having a great time. We had awesome weather the entire time. The last night we took a sleigh ride up one of the mountains to Beano's cabin to have dinner. It was so cold, but the sky was lit up with stars. It was one of the most beautiful sights. A perfect way to end a great week.
Thanks for such a great trip, ladies. I can't wait until our next adventure.

I have to thanks my parents for keeping Finn and taking such good care of him. They rolled out the red carpet for him and of course he got the royal treatment.


No comments: